Commercial sunscreens contain toxic ingredients that disrupt the endocrine system & promote skin cancer growth & free radical production in the body.
Since sunscreen use began, skin cancer rates have skyrocketed.
A 2007 document straight from the FDA stated that: “The FDA is not aware of data demonstrating that sunscreen use alone helps prevent skin cancer”. A Mayo Clinic study found that from 1970 to 2009 skin cancer rates have risen an average of 8 fold!
We are a society of extreme vitamin D deficiency! Plants DIE if they aren't exposed to the sun. Sunshine is a necessity! Sunshine HEALS! We've become a modern world of working indoors under artificial light, smothering our bodies with toxic *cancer causing* sunscreen, & literally being afraid of the sunshine.
Did you know that after sun exposure you should wait to take a bath or shower? Vitamin D continues to absorb throughout the day. This is vital to our good preventative health & healing both.
I have a friend in Australia that had recurring skin cancer 3 different times. She kept going back to the doctor for treatments & to have the cancerous areas cut out, but it continued to come back. She finally took the natural route at the advice of a healing genius she knows. She changed her eating to a plant based nutrient dense foods that are *grown in the sun, & she started spending A LOT of time out in the sun. Guess what...? After 14 years, the cancer has never returned!
In addition to many other articles, books, etc... I found (once again) that this topic is also addressed in John Widtsoe's book on the Word of Wisdom over half a century ago...
Take a look at this study on pubmed.gov: Sun exposure prior to diagnosis is associated with improved survival in melanoma patients
Here is a GREAT website with a ton of information/studies/statistics/charts/treatments, etc... on Vitamin D, cancer mis-information, & sun exposure:
Sun Arc - Sunlight, Nutrition And Health Research Center
Also, here are over 820 references on Vitamin D & cancer.
Highly Cited and Recent Papers on UVB and/or Vitamin D and Cancer
Eating lots & lots of fruits/veges & a highly plant based diet full of whole foods will greatly reduce your risk of sunburn. There are a lot of people who are writing about their experiences on blogs, websites, & in books now concerning being able to get rid of sunscreen altogether after switching to plant based / high produce diet with lots of fruit. That in itself is a natural sunscreen & cancer protector. They are able to spend all day in the sun building a great tan & gaining ZERO burn.
You can gradually build a protective tan by spending 5-10 minutes / day in the sun & working your way up to 30+ minutes.
If sun exposure is going to be fairly short, then simply apply a bit of coconut oil (& lavender oil, which is a mild sunscreen) to your skin before going out. This will moisturize your skin, help protect it from signs of aging, & greatly enhance absorption of vitamin D. Don't use sunscreen for short periods of sun exposure!
If exposure is going to be prolonged & burning is a concern - (because you don't want to burn) - there are many natural (non toxic) sunscreens available now. (People are becoming more aware of the dangers of commercial chemically laden toxic sunscreen) However, even natural commercial sunscreens are not very friendly to some people who are still having reactions to those too, so you may have to experiment or make your own.
It's best to use NO sunscreen, if you're going to be outside for a reasonable amount of time. However, if you're expecting to be out in the sun for an extended period of time & are worried about burning, there are many wonderful recipes available for you to make your own sunscreen that work exceptionally well. Here's a great one from Wellness Mama's website:
- 1/2 cup almond or olive oil (can infuse with herbs first if desired)
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/4 cup beeswax
- 2 Tablespoons zinc oxide (This is a non-nano version that won’t be absorbed into the skin. Be careful not to inhale the powder. A mask may be beneficial). This makes a natural SPF of 20+.)
- Optional: 1 teaspoon Vitamin E oil
- Optional: 2 tablespoons Shea Butter
- Optional: Essential Oils (lavender is a natural mild sunscreen...)
- Combine ingredients except zinc oxide in a pint sized or larger glass jar. I have a mason jar that I keep just for making lotions and lotion bars, or you can even reuse a glass jar from pickles, olives or other foods.
- Fill a medium saucepan with a couple inches of water and place over medium heat.
- Put a lid on the jar loosely and place in the pan with the water.
- As the water heats, the ingredients in the jar will start to melt. Shake or stir occasionally to incorporate. When all ingredients are completely melted, add the zinc oxide, stir in well and pour into whatever jar or tin you will use for storage. Small mason jars (pint size) are great for this. It will not pump well in a lotion pump!
- Stir a few times as it cools to make sure zinc oxide is incorporated.
- Use as you would regular sunscreen. Best if used within six months.
- This sunscreen is somewhat but not completely waterproof and will need to be reapplied after sweating or swimming.
- Make sure not to inhale the Zinc Oxide - use a mask if necessary.
- This recipe has an SPF of about 20, though adding more Zinc Oxide will increase the SPF (Higher spf has not been proven beneficial, & in some reports I've read is actually detrimental)
- Add more beeswax to make thicker sunscreen, less to make smooth sunscreen
- I recommend coconut or vanilla extract or lavender essential oils for fragrance
- Store in a cool, dry place or in the fridge
- I prefer to store in a small canning jar and apply like a body butter. It will be thicker, especially if you use coconut oil in the recipe.
- remove the Zinc Oxide and this makes an excellent lotion recipe!
- Get a bottle of your favorite NON TOXIC lotion (without citrus oils)
- Add a couple Tablespoons of Zinc Oxide (& Lavender Essential Oil - a natural mild sunscreen)
- Mix well
- Use as Sunscreen