Mooooove over margarine. YES - I trust the cow more than the chemist!
Way back when our great grandparents were around, margarine was simply natural vegetable oils. Today, not so much. Modern margarine is composed of highly processed oils, hydrogenated oils, trans fats, & other undesirable ingredients. Even the so called "healthier" margarines are processed to the point of very little nutritional value being left. If the margarine is not officially labeled USDA Organic, there's a VERY high likelihood that it comes from genetically modified food products (GMO).
If your family eats margarine, you might want to re-think it:
- A Harvard medical study a few years ago showed that margarine can increase heart disease in women by more than 50% over eating the same amount of natural butter.
- Eating natural butter (and other naturally healthy oils) actually increases the absorption of many nutrients in other foods.
- Butter has been around for centuries, where margarine has been around for less than 100 years.
- Butter (if from a grass fed pasture raised cow) is not genetically modified (GMO). Most margarine contains genetically modified soy & other ingredients. See my post HERE on genetically modified foods.
- Margarine is very high in trans fatty acids.
- Margarine triples the risk of coronary heart disease.
- Margarine increases total cholesterol & LDL (bad cholesterol) & lowers HDL (good cholesterol).
- Margarine increases the risk of cancer
- Margarine decreases immune response
- Margarine lowers the quality of mother's breast milk.
If you put margarine & butter side by side in an open garage or shady area outside, you'll notice a couple of things within a couple of days:
1 - Flies will not touch the margarine. Not even fruit flies!
2 - The margarine will not rot or smell differently, because it has no nutritional value. Nothing will grow on it.
I choose butter. Real butter. THANK YOU MR. COW! :)